The Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have an immediate opening for the position of Athletic Therapist / Trainer for the 2021-22 season.
The successful candidate should: – have excellent communication skills – be comfortable in an intense and fast-paced environment – have experience working with competitive hockey teams and be interested in a career in sports.
The Therapist / Trainer position is a position within the organization that is responsible for all player injuries, illness, player maintenance and general trainer duties. Some of the specific duties that the position includes are below:
- Injury response, rehabilitation, follow-up, referrals, and general trainer duties
- Documentation of all injuries, communication to coaches and management.
- Working with team doctor, dentist, medical support & rehabilitation personnel
- Skate sharpening and equipment repair and maintenance.
- Practice and Gameday preparation
- Dressing room maintenance and cleanliness
- Monitoring player nutrition
- Maintaining, distribution, and documenting of medical/equipment supplies, inventories and budgets.
- Preparing for visiting team/trainer’s arrival and assisting them where necessary
- Packing and preparing for road trips throughout BC and Washington State
- Comply with all Hockey Canada, BCHL, and BC Hockey regulations.
The successful candidate must have Hockey Canada’s Safety Person (HCSP) certification, Sports First Responder certificate and possess strong communication skills with experience in the hockey industry. Preference will be given to candidates certified as Athletic Therapists and those with concussion management certification.
It is essential that the successful candidate understands the hockey environment and can handle the challenges it brings to the day-to-day work atmosphere. A valid passport is needed for cross-border travel, as well as a valid class 5 driver’s license.
Please no phone calls. Only final candidates will be contacted. Salary and contract terms to be negotiated and based on experience.
Apply by emailing resume and cover letter to General Manager and Head Coach Jason McKee jason@Vernonvipers.com ‘
About Our Team and City
The Vernon Vipers are a proud member of the British Columbia Hockey League and the Interior Conference.
The Vernon Vipers are one of the most decorated junior teams in Canadian history having won the RBC Cup (formerly the Centennial Cup) six times, with four of those wins in the 1990s. They won while hosting the tournament in 1990, repeated in 1991, again in 1996, in 1999 and most recently won back-to-back championships in 2009 and 2010; giving arguably the most dominant performance of any franchise in a single decade since the introduction of the Centennial Cup in 1971. To date, the Vernon Vipers have won 4 Royal Bank Cups, 2 Centennial Cups, 4 Abbott Cups, 8 Doyle Cups, 10 Mowat Cups and 12 League Titles.
Welcome to Vernon and the sunny North Okanagan, where our casual lifestyle matched with spectacular outdoor recreation opportunities has led Vernon to become one of the most diversified communities in BC. Serving a regional population of over 100,000, the community is surrounded by three lakes and is well known for its hot summers and mild winters, which has attracted businesses and residents from across the globe.